We are in middle of Mango season. Being King of fruit, most of us do enjoy it. It definitely deserves to be the king as it is loaded with nutrients. There has been numerous variety of mangoes available around the globe and Alphonso mangoes are the popular ones in Asian countries.
Lets have look at the nutrition facts of mango. One 165-gram (g) cup of sliced mango gives:
- 99 Kcals
- 1.35 g of protein
- 0.63g of fat
- 24.7 g of carbohydrates
- 22.5 g of sugar
- 2.64 g of fiber
Mangoes are rich in vitamins like vitamin C which contributes 76% of daily recommended intake. 25% of vitamin A, 11% of vitamin B6 and also vitamins like vitamin E, vitamin K, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, panthothenic acid. It also includes mineral like Minerals in mango include copper, potassium, and magnesium.
Now lets have a look deep inside the mango, which is mango seed. We have been eating Mangoes all our lives. We all know how nutritious mangoes are and it doesn’t end there.Let’s take tour of Mango seeds ( Aam Gutli )
Processing and Nutritive Value of Mango Seed Kernel.
|Crude fibre (%)||2.20|
Benefits of Mango seed.
1. Mango seed help in curing frequent diarrhea. Dry roast the seeds and make powder. Take thrice a day.
2. Mango seeds being highly fibrous, it helps in controlling your blood sugars.
3. Seeds help in boosting your metabolism and support weight management.
4. It is seen to reduce cholesterol and increase blood circulation.
5. Mango seeds has shown to control blood pressure by reducing the risk of heart disease.
6. Mango seed can be made into past and applied on face for smooth and glowing skin.
7. Mango seeds can be used to clean your teeth as well.
8. Application of paste on scalp also reduces dandruff and any scalp issues.
9. Application of paste on hair improves your hair texture and gives shine.
10. Improves overall digestion.
11. If you have issues of dry lips, you can add this powder to Vaseline and apply as lip balm.
Ayurveda recommends mango seeds for vomiting, diarrhea, dysentery, burning sensation in chest, IBS and any other digestive issues.
So hence forth when you eat a mango think about the benefits which are hidden inside the seed and try to include them in your diet during the season at least.