Health juices have gained a lot of attention among health freaks. All fitness parks are loaded with health juices points. Out of all health juices a very old is beetroot juice. Let’s see what are the health benefits of beetroot juice. What are its benefits and why we should consume beetroot juice on regular basis. There are many foods available in market which has some or the other significance. Among all the available fruits and vegetables there are few foods which have more than one effect on body. Trial of those foods in the research helps us to know their real benefits and their usage.
Clinical tests reported in the International Clinical Nutrition Review of 1986 claimed rapid tumor breakdown in lung, prostate, breast and uterine cancers with the use of beetroot. Apparently, beetroots contain a tumor-inhibiting, anti-cancerous active ingredient that some researchers think is the natural red coloring agent, betaine, but it has not been definitively isolated. However, because the beetroot is non-toxic, it may be advised in large quantities.
Beetroot is consumed as a salad or as vegetable. We eat because it’s available as one of the vegetable but not especially because we know its all health benefits. There are many studies been held to check its importance on human health? It has multiple benefits. It contains potassium, magnesium, iron, vitamins A, B6 and C, folic acid, carbohydrates, protein, antioxidants and soluble fiber.
1 cup of cooked beetroot approximately contains:
a) Carbohydrates 8.5 gm
b) Dietary fiber: 1.6 gm
c) Protein: 1.4 gm
d) Phosphorus: 33 mg
e) Potassium: 258 mg
f) Folate: 53.2 mcg
Image Source: Pinterest
Though cooking beetroot destroys few of its properties. It has many health benefits.
Health benefit of Beetroot Juice
- They have a genuine laxative effect. They stimulate the bowel and helps in regulars motions, they also prevent and cure constipation and hemorrhoids.
- They are best mood lifters. Beetroots have been shown to contain the compound betaine, which enhances the production of the body’s natural mood-lifter serotonin. So it is also recommended for a person suffering from depression.
They help in building strong immune system. As they are rich in nutrients that help stimulate the re-oxygenation of cells and the production of new blood cells.
- It is most nutritious. It’s rich in antioxidants like vitamins A, C, B-complex, proteins, insoluble fiber, organic acids, and many other minerals.
- Their leaves are beneficial for pregnant ladies. It is rich in beta-carotene, folic acid, calcium and iron which are all required for a pregnant lady.
- They help to purify and cleanse blood especially good foe menstruating women. It also normalizes the blood’s pH balance and purifies the blood by flushing away fatty deposits and improving circulation. They remove accumulated toxins from the body through the skin.
- They detoxify the liver and spleen and help to treat many liver diseases, including jaundice, cirrhosis and other liver diseases.
- They are a great source of natural fruit sugar and hence have great glycemic control over diabetic patient also. It is believed that they are helpful in cases of hypoglycemia.
Researches (London School of Medicine – 2008 and Queen Mary University of London – 2010) have indicated that Beet Root may significantly reduce blood pressure. The two key beneficial ingredients appear to be nitrate (which is converted in the body into nitrite and nitric oxide into the blood vessels) and the mineral, potassium. Nitric Oxide dilates the arteries and thereby reduces the blood pressure.
- Beetroot juice increases stamina and thereby increases immunity.
- Glandular swelling and sore throat can be treated with beetroot juice.
- Beetroots are recommended for digestion problem.
- Beetroots help to fight against cancer. It has tumor inhibiting substances in it.
- Beetroot increases the metabolic process and thereby have fewer tendencies to convert into fat.
- It is believed that they aid against Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. Drinking beetroot juice increases blood flow to the brain in older people, which may be able to fight the progression of dementia, a 2010 study suggested.
- Beetroots are considered very beneficial for kidneys. People having kidney diseases and kidney stones should consult their doctor before including in the diet.
RD Neha Kava
Latest posts by RD Neha Kava (see all)
- Hair Loss and Protein Deficiency - May 29, 2023
- Benefits of Gardencress seeds/ Halim/ Aliv - April 2, 2023
- What is the Importance of Employee Mental Health at the Workplace? - March 28, 2023