People are scared of ulcers as it interferes with whatever you put in your mouth. Many people must have experienced mouth ulcers some time in their life.
Mouth ulcers are sores that appear often inside of the cheeks and in the mouth. Mouth ulcers are painful while eating, drinking and while brushing teeth.
Mouth ulcers sometimes are painless and gets clear on its own. If an ulcer lasts for more than 3 weeks you should seek advice from your dentist who will prescribe you some antimicrobial mouth wash.
Remember a painless mouth ulcer is one of the earliest signs of oral cancer. Home remedies for ulcers will mostly include foods in your diet which gives cooling effects and avoid foods which are hot in nature.
So lets see how to get rid of mouth ulcers at home naturally:
How to get rid of mouth ulcers using home remedies
Given below are few tips which will help you the relieve some unbearable pain but they will not contribute to get rid of the ulcers.
- Rub a small Piece of Ice: To reduce your pain, gently rub a small piece of ice cube over the ulcer and then rinse your mouth with ice-cold water. This will cause numbness and will not feel the pain.
- Chew a clove bud: Chew a clove bud in your mouth and direct the juice towards the ulcer area.
- Salt Water Rinse: Warm water also produces a general sense of soothing relief, while the salt may help keep the area clean. Gargle with warm salt water as many times as you can throughout the day.
- Lemon: Apply a slice of lemon on the ulcer for few seconds. This will numb the ulcer area and will give temporary pain relief.
- Reduce Stress levels: Reduce your stress levels by doing an activity that you find relaxing, such as yoga, meditation or exercise.
- Cranberry Juice: Hold cranberry juice in your mouth for some time. This will provide quick relief from painful ulcers.
- Milk of Magnesia: Dab a cotton ball in milk of magnesia, and apply it over the ulcers to get quick relief.
Foods / ingredients that help to get rid of the mouth ulcers:
- Coconut: Coconut water has various benefits like cooling effect. Applying a little coconut oil onto the ulcer or chewing some fresh coconut helps reduce pain and inflammation and heals the mouth ulcer faster. Dry coconut, coconut oil and coconut water all of these are very useful to treat mouth ulcers.
- Liquorice or Licorice: Mulethi in hindi, yashtimadhu in Sanskrit has many medicinal properties. It has anti-inflammatory properties which fasten the healing of ulcers. Rub the liquorice stem on grinding stone and apply the paste over the ulcers. Powder can be mixed with honey and then applied.
- Honey: Honey has anti-microbial effect that fastens the healing process of mouth ulcer. It also helps reduce scarring and hastens the process of new tissue growth. Honey also helps to retain moisture and prevent dehydration.
- Poppy seeds: Poppy seeds has cooling effect on the body. Crush poppy seeds with some sugar and eat for instant relief from ulcers.
- Tulsi/ Basil Leaves: Tulsi is one of the best medicinal herb. Chew few leaves of tulsi along with some water about 3-4 times in a day. Tulsi will help to get rid of ulcers faster and more over will also prevent reoccurrence of ulcers.
- Aloe Rinse: Aloe has a high cooling effect. Mix Aloe with water and rinse mouth as many times possible in a day. Make sure you use natural gel.
- Yoghurt/ Curd: Curd is a simple healthy remedy because it balances healthy bacteria in your mouth which may contribute to mouth ulcers.
- Chammomile Tea Bag: Chammomile has antiseptic properties and also help to reduce the inflammation. Combination of both these properties does wonders in curing ulcers.
- Peppermint oil spray: Peppermint oil also have anti-inflammatory properties and also anti-microbial activity which reduce the chance of infection and hence is used as one of the remedy to heel the ulcers.
- Eucalyptus Oil: similar to peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil has both anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial property and hence is beneficial to treat ulcers.
- Use hydrogen peroxide: Take a cotton swab and dab it over the ulcer. Make sure you’re using just enough solution to wet the cotton swab. Once you are done the initial cleaning, dip a fresh swab and hold it on the ulcer for few seconds.
Note: Make sure you don’t swallow the solution as it isn’t meant to be swallowed.
- Reduce acidic foods: Avoid acidic foods and drinks. Stay away from carbonated drinks, citrus fruits, spicy foods and hard foods like toasted bread. Also avoid hard drinks
- Mouth hygiene: Maintain good oral hygiene. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush when brushing your teeth.
- Reduce Tea/ coffee/ Chocolates: Excessive intake of Tea/ Coffee/ Chocolates are triggers for ulcers. So reduce consumption.
- Vitamin supplements: If your diet is lacking in essential vitamins, for example Vitamin B12, folic acid or iron then these supplements will be prescribed which will help in reoccurrence of ulcers.
- Turmeric: Mix a pinch of turmeric powder in a teaspoon of glycerine, and apply this mixture on the ulcers. It really does wonders.
- Baking Soda: Mix baking soda with water and apply it on the affected area to get rid of the painful mouth ulcers.
- Fenugreek Leaves: Add a cup of fenugreek leaves to 2 cups of boiling water. Steep it for some time, and strain the water. Gargle with it at least twice or thrice a day.
- Peepal Tree Leaves: Mix some peepal tree leaves in honey and apply it on the blisters.
- Tea tree Oil: Tea tree oil is extremely effective in treating mouth ulcers. It has anti bacterial and antiseptic properties. Blend half teaspoon of tea tree oil in 1 tablespoon of pure almond oil. Take a cotton swab dip in the mixture and dab it over the ulcer.
If we believe that the ulcers occur due to increased body heat then the other cooling agents are
- Apply little ghee to the ulcerated area
- Drink 2-3 glasses of buttermilk in one day.
- Apply castor oil, it has brilliant cooling effect.
- Have a balanced diet, and include necessary vitamins and minerals to avoid their deficiency.
- Drink lots of water as it keeps your system clean while avoiding mouth ulcers.
- Avoid too much spicy foods specially containing garam masala and excess sweets.
- Refrain from alcoholic and caffeinated beverages.
- Stay away from those foods, to which you are allergic.
- Avoid over-consumption of red meat and animal fat.
- Do not eat hot food.
A Review of mouth ulcers is very nicely given by http://itsligo.ie/files/2009/10/Mouth-Ulcers.pdf
General Recommendations for Mouth Ulcers:
- Eat plenty of salad with raw onions. Onions contain sulphur and have healing properties
- Include in the diet yogurt and other soured products, such as cottage cheese and buttermilk.
- Lack of Vitamin C, Zinc and Vitamin B groups are a common cause of mouth ulcers.
- Sodium bicarbonate powder mixed with water is a very effective first aid remedy.
- Use toothpaste containing no fluoride and no chemicals.
- You can use several OTC medications to suppress the pain. Paracetamol or ibuprofen preparations are useful. Ibuprofen is not suitable if taking prescribed Difene.
- Try stress-relieving acupressure exercises. Avoid constant stress. Take time to exercise, sleep and relax. Stress is a common factor associated with mouth ulcers.
- Eliminate sources for all food allergens and gluten
- Do not eat fish or meat of any kind for two weeks. The consumption of animal protein increases the body’s acidity, which slows healing.
- Avoid chewing gum, lozenges, mouthwashes (other than recommended by your pharmacist), tobacco, coffee, citrus fruits, and any other foods that you know trigger these sores.
- Be careful not to irritate the gums with hard toothbrush bristle or sharp edged foods such as potato chips or dry bread crusts.
- Too much acid from fruits and vegetables, and spicy foods can also trigger mouth sores.
- Keep the bowels regular to prevent toxic build up. Walk regularly in fresh air to oxygenate the body and stimulate bowel movement.
- If you have repeated attacks of mouth sores, check for nutritional deficiencies.
- To avoid getting mouth sores, it is important to maintain a proper balance of minerals, acidity and alkalinity in the body. Zinc, Copper and calcium are essential.
- Do not use the same toothbrush for longer than one month.
Find the link below to order product to treat your mouth ulcer:
So have you ever faced mouth ulcer problem? Mouth Ulcer remedies can solve your issues. Try this mouth ulcers remedies at home and share your experience if you have any other ways to treat them.