Today we are going to discuss on Diet and health tips to gain weight/ put on weight/ increase weight. There are not many people who really feel the need to put on weight because everyone is of the opinion that lighter the weight lighter are the chances of any major health related illnesses. Many a times the hereditary or the genetic built of the individual is such that in spite of a very high heavy appetite they don’t tend to put on weight. It is seen that any change in the routine if continued for few months then only it shows any effect on the body and difference is been seen.Today I am going to talk about eating more. In most of the diet related queries, issues and diseases we, nutritionists always talk about cutting down calories choosing a low calorie food and eat less quantity at a time. But all these things have to be neglected when we talk about a weight gain diet. People who are on weight loss diet feel that gaining weight is not a difficult task and vice versa but that’s not true. Gaining weight is also equally difficult as losing weight.
When we talk about putting on weight the first thing we think is to eat more. Eating more food will lead to more energy and thereby help body to store some extra energy to build the body mass and fat. But eating more for weight gain is not the only key. Eating right food in more quantity has to be considered.
As we all know that to increase the calories in your diet best thing is to add fats, sugars and other junk foods. But the question is whether these foods in increased quantity are safe for consumption. What if there are future complications or morbidities accompanying these foods. So when we talk about eating more it should also follow the standard healthy food pyramid. Proportion of the food group should remain same just the quantity can be increased by 10% on initial stage.
Gaining weight in a healthy way is very important. Here are few tips which can help you to gain weight.
- Increase your protein intake from the present. Choose Milk and dairy products, eggs, fish and meat over vegetables for one of the meal. If you are vegetarian then eat foods with high protein content such as beans, pulses and peas.
- Increase intake of foods with high starch content such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, arbi, yam, rice and tapioca.
- Increase frequency of meals. It becomes important to break the large meal gaps and snack in between. Eating a high calories snack is recommended such as cheese sticks, milk shakes, cakes, pastries, dried fruits, yoghurt and breakfast bars.
- Increase meal size by 10%. So increase food by a smaller portion from all the food groups i.e. carbohydrates, proteins, fats etc.
- Drink a lot of fluids that supply nutrients, minerals and calories like fresh fruit juices, energy drinks, and milkshakes.
- Exercising will also help to put on weight. After you workout requirement of calories and proteins increases.
These are few tips to gain weight but that’s not all. It’s very important that you give some time to your body to adjust to the new diet and hence it will take time to show up the actual results. So patience is most important.