Health benefits of Bajra/ Pearl Millet?
Bajra is one of the oldest millet used by our ancestors. Along with wheat flour even bajra was included in the regular diet. It is known to have a very high fiber content which makes it healthier. It is used as a regular meal in places like Rajasthan, Gujarat. Now a day’s it is gaining its importance back.
Now Bajra are recommended by many health professionals, Dieticians and Nutritionist because of its various health benefits. It is also not very expensive millet which can reduce its consumption. People are becoming more and more conscious about the fact of bajra having various good effects on the body.
Dieticians and Nutritionist are trying their best to promote this particular millet and increase its consumption by educating its benefits among all groups of people. Awareness among the people helps to create a positive attitude towards this millet. It is also called as pearl millet. It is not expensive like pearl but it’s definitely has pearl like quality which is beneficial to the body. 100 grams of Bajra has the following nutritional values: energy 360 calories, moisture 12g,protein 12g, fat 5g, mineral 2g, fiber 1 g, carbohydrate 67g, Calcium 42mg, phosphorus 242mg, and iron 8mg. provides us with disease fighting phytochemicals that lower cholesterol, antioxidants, plenty of fibre, folate, iron, magnesium, copper, zinc, vitamins-E and B-complex, thiamine, riboflavin and niacin. It is a gluten free grain. So it is one of the grains which can be easily included in the diet of a person who is suffering from Gluten Induced Enteropathy or has allergy towards gluten. It is noted for its high iron content also.
Benefits of Bajra:
- Bajra has some medicinal properties when bread is eaten with honey in the morning. It is especially effective for bleeding piles, epilepsy, insomnia, impotency, high blood pressure, diabetes and tuberculosis.
- It is easily digestible and has the lowest probability of causing allergic reactions.
- Bajra, being gluten free, is a very good food choice for those suffering from celiac disease who cannot tolerate gluten.
- It is highly effective and recommended for cases of severe constipation and stomach ulcers.
- The presence of phytic acid and niacin in bajra helps in lowering the cholesterol.
- Being rich in fiber content, bajra is good for diabetics, keeping the glucose levels normal.
- This whole grain supports weight loss as the high fiber content leads to a feeling of fullness for a prolonged period of time.
- It is helpful in maintaining cardiovascular health and in acidity problems.
- Bajra helps in reducing weight.
- It controls blood sugar levels and hence good for diabetic.
You can buy high quality bajra / pearl millet by clicking the link.
Excessive eating of these grains causes high uric acid deposits in the system. So people with kidney and rheumatic diseases should use it with care. As mentioned above, Bajra comes with immense health benefits and uses. If you have known the importance of whole grains, then you should make a conscious effort to include Bajra in your diet.