We normally come across people who are over weight and trying to loose some extra weight. But there are not many people who really feel the need to put on weight because everyone is of the opinion that lighter the weight lighter are the chances of any health related illnesses. Many a times the hereditary or the genetic built of the individual is such that in spite of a very high and heavy appetite they don’t tend show up on their weight. Any change in the routine if continued for few months then only it will show desirable effect on the body.Today I am going to talk about eating more. In most of the diet related queries, issues and diseases we, nutritionists always talk about cutting down calories, choosing a low calorie food and eat less quantity at a time. But all these things have to be neglected when we talk about a weight gain diet. People who are on weight loss diet feel that gaining weight is not a difficult task and vice versa but that’s not true. Gaining weight is also equally difficult as losing weight. But one thing has to be kept in mind that gaining weight doesn’t mean you eat anything and everything. Weight gain in healthy manner should be a choice. So it would be recommended that you consult a Registered Dietitian to help you achieve a healthy weight ideal for you height and weight.
When we talk about putting on weight the first thing we think is to eat more. Eating more food will lead to more energy and thereby help body to store some extra energy to build the body mass and fat. But eating more for weight gain is not the only key. Eating right food in little extra quantity has to be considered.
As we all know that to increase the calories in your diet best thing is to add fats, sugars and other junk foods. But the question is whether these foods in increased quantity are safe for consumption. What if there are future complications or morbidities accompanying these foods. So when we talk about eating more it should also follow the standard healthy food pyramid. Proportion of the food group should remain same just the quantity can be increased by 10% on initial stage.
Gaining weight in a healthy way is very important. Here are few tips which can help you to gain weight.
- Increase your protein intake from the present. Choose Milk and dairy products, eggs, fish and meat over vegetables for one of the meal. If you are vegetarian then eat foods with high protein content such as beans, pulses and peas.
- Increase intake of foods with high starch content such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, arbi, yam, rice and tapioca.
- Increase frequency of meals. It becomes important to break the large meal gaps and snack in between. Eating a high calories snack is recommended such as cheese sticks, milk shakes, cakes, pastries, dried fruits, yoghurt and breakfast bars.
- Increase meal size by 10%. So increase food by a smaller portion from all the food groups i.e. carbohydrates, proteins, fats etc.
- Drink a lot of fluids that supply nutrients, minerals and calories like fresh fruit juices, energy drinks, and milkshakes.
- Exercising will also help to put on weight. After you workout requirement of calories and proteins increases.
These are few tips to gain weight but that’s not all. It’s very important that you give some time to your body to adjust to the new diet and hence it will take time to show up the actual results. So patience is most important. There are many other factors which prevents your body from storing nutrition and to appear healthy.
Physical Reasons behind Severe Weight Loss:
- Hyperthyroidism: The hormone thyroxin produced by the body is often regarded as the ‘conductor’ or the ‘orchestra of the body’. If the thyroxin levels are normal then metabolism, height and weight are within the limits. If the function of thyroid gland is disrupted then the body’s metabolism, heartbeat and body temperature becomes deranged and there is pronounced weight loss.
- Cancer: Malignancy or cancer can cause rapid weight loss, fatigue, lack of appetite, nausea and inability to gain weight.
- Tuberculosis: Tuberculosis is very common. It is accompanied by weight loss, coughing, night sweats and extreme fatigue. If the drastic weight loss is due to tuberculosis you need immediate treatment. Tuberculosis is a curable disease if diagnosed at the early stages.
- Diabetes: Diabetes can result in both obesity and weight loss. Check for excessive thirst and urination and fatigue, you need to check your blood sugar and insulin levels.
- HIV Aids: HIV Aids is also referred to as ‘slim disease’ and it actually prevents weight gain and causes pronounced weight loss.
- Crash Diet and Starvation: Many girls starve to get the desirable size zero figures. Yes it is in fashion but it is definitely not a healthy way to lose weight.
- Eating disorders: The most common disorders are anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. Other disorders are binge eating, body image disorders and food phobias.
- Hereditary Factors: Weight changes in a person depend on the interaction of behavioural, environmental and genetic factors. Even if a person tries to gain weight even after doing weight management then one has to understand that genetic factors are influencing weight gain.
- Depression: Depression is one the prime psychological reason behind weight loss. Depression not only leads to reduced appetite but it also cause drastic weight loss.
- Lastly, Enzyme deficiency: If stomach wall is not secreting sufficient digestive enzyme that is essential for digestion and absorption of nutrients that help in physical development. This enzyme deficiency is the reason behind weight loss.