Health benefits of cinnamon have been overlooked in past years. But there have been many researches carried on to prove the super properties it has, which makes it a super food.
Cinnamon is very rich in fiber. It is a powerful spice with medicinal properties and is used by many nations.
Cinnamon is a very old spice which is been used in Indian Kitchen. Cinnamon is called “ Dalchini” in Hindi; Taj in Gujarati. Cinnamon is the inner bark of the tree genus Cinnamomum.
It is usually referred to as stick spice. It has a very unique flavor, small and taste.
How to use Cinnamon?
We use cinnamon in various food preparations. It can be part of any sweet recipe or may be any savory item too. It has amazing property to blend with any food item. Personally it is my favorite super food.
Cinnamon can be added to food preparation when you are cooking it. Or else you can use it in powdered form. Cinnamon powder can be added to tea, coffee, salad, dal or as simple as plain water.
Cinnamon has amazing flavour and more than that many more amazing properties which makes it work to add in your daily diet.
Nutrition Benefits of Cinnamon
One tablespoon of cinnamon powder contains:
- 20 calories
- 0 grams of fat, protein, or carbs
- 5 grams of fiber
- 70% manganese
- 9% calcium
- 5% iron
- 4% Vitamin K
Benefits of Cinnamon:
- Controls blood sugar: It is found from the studies that cinnamon has properties which can help to lower your blood sugar levels. First reason is its high fibre content. They have found that cinnamon improves the sensitivity of hormone insulin which is the major hormone involved in digestion of sugars in diabetics. Hence it is advised to diabetics to include in their diet and get the most benefit out of it
- Friendly in IBS: Irritable Bowel Syndrome is associated with discomfort, bloating etc. Cinnamon is found to be very effective to IBS patients as it reduces discomfort associated with IBS. This is because cinnamon had anti-fungal properties which enable the gastric juices to work with more efficiency.
- Helps in weight loss: Cinnamon helps to boost up the metabolism which is very much required in weight loss process.
- Helps in lowering blood cholesterol and triglycerides.
- E-coli fighter: Cinnamon is considered as one of the best fighter against E-coli infection.
- Cinnamon also helps in Sore throat, cough and cold.
- Cinnamon fights against stomach infection because of its anti-bacterial property.
- Prevent dental health and gives freshness to breath naturally
- It has highest anti-inflammatory and anti oxidant properties. So it can be given in infections, allergies and any other inflammatory disease.
- It also lowers the heart risk
- Fights against cancer cells. Cinnamon has properties which protect DNA damage, cell mutation and other cancerous growth. Now the researches are going on to find out the dosage of cinnamon extract to protect against cancer for people who are at risk of cancer.
- Cinnamon helps to prevent or cure candida infection.
- Cinnamon is very high in manganese which helps them to control their PMS. A study had seen that 5mg of cinnamon in diet of women had comparatively lesser mood swings and less cramps.
Uses of Cinnamon:
Apart from using cinnamon in diet and getting the above benefits.
Cinnamon can also be used as:
Food preservative: Cinnamon ahs anti bacterial properties and hence they are used in various food preparations as preservatives in Asian countries. One example is in pickle preparations which are made in bulk for a year.
Odour neutralizer: Cinnamon Leaf oil and bark oil both are effective to fight against bacteria which create bad odours.
Insect repellent: Cinnamon leaf oil has anti bacterial properties. This oil is used to control black ant, cockroaches, bed bugs, head lice, dust mites and also against mosquitoes
Massage Therapy: Cinnamon has a warming property. Cinnamon oil is mixed with plain oil and then is used for massage.
Benefits of Cinnamon Powder for weight loss:
Cinnamon has amazing results for weight loss. I have used it myself and also for my clients. It boosts up your laid down metabolism. Daily 5-10gms of cinnamon can be taken. Cinnamon powder can be taken as follows:
- In plain water
- Sprinkle on salads
- Sprinkle on fruits
- Add to tea/coffee
- Sprinkle on dal/ curry
- You can also put a piece in your mouth as mouth freshener
Benefits of cinnamon powder for skin:
Cinnamon Powder has anti biotic and anti bacterial effect. It prevent skin from irritation, rashes and other skin infection. The common method to use is to add cinnamon powder to honey and apply on skin
Latest posts by Neha Kava (see all)
- Health Benefits Of Peanuts - December 7, 2019
- Ease Your Asthma with These 5 Dieting Tips - June 13, 2019
- The Effective Way of Taking Testosterone Supplements - April 23, 2019