We have always seen that the good quality products or things always come in smaller packets. I am again here to discuss with you the immense health benefits of Basil Seeds.
I know many of us are not aware of these seeds or may not be using it in your diet. But when I say Sabja or Takmariya, many of you would be able to relate what I am talking about.
Yes, you may recognise it as Falooda seeds too. But never heard of blending these seeds in any other recipe except for falooda, right? We will surely discuss it here.
The scientific name of Sabja seed or Basil seed is Ocimum Basilicum. These seeds have properties very similar to chia seeds. But both these seeds are different.
I personally love having these seeds as they give you a very soothing feeling in stomach. So it is one of my best healthy summer drink ingredient. These seeds are very small as compared to the nutrients it is said to contain.
Health Benefit of Basil Seeds:
1. Nutritionally Packed: Basil seeds are black in colour and hence they are dense with nutrients especially the phytochemicals and flavonoids.
Antioxidants present in them helps in various metabolic process of the body.
Basil leaves are supposed to be rich in essential oils, Vitamin a, Vitamin K, , potassium, copper, calcium, magnesium, folate and manganese.
We assume that seeds would also have some per cent of these nutrients in them.
Still Basil seeds are gaining importance and researches are going on
2. Detoxifer: It is seen that the basil seeds reused on large scale as blood purifier. It is also seen to be effective to treat nausea and vomiting.
If you have a stomach infection or some type of food poisoning, you can try these seeds and cleanse you digestive system and gut.
3. Diuretic: Basil seed helps in flushing off excess water accumulation in the body. It is a natural diuretic which cleans the kidneys.
4. Weight loss Friendly: Basil seed helps in your journey of weight loss. These seed are very rich in fibre and hence gives feeling of satiety when included in the dieters’ meals.
So if there is feeling of fullness. It would be easy for the dieter to stay away from food and control calories and lose weight happily in a healthy way.
5. Diabetic Friendly: As we discussed above that the seeds are rich in fibre, it helps to control the sugars as well. Even diabetics can overcome their hunger and have portion controlled meals.
6. Reduce Cholesterol: Daily intake of basil seeds is also seen to lower your blood cholesterol. As Fibre binds with the excess fat and excretes from the body. Thereby, lowers the chances of coronary artery disorder, heart attacks and strokes.
7. Fights constipation: Sabja seed increases in size by 30 times. So when these soaked seeds are consumed they help to clean the inner stomach.
It helps in easing the bowel movements. Most of the people consume it with milk before going to bed.
8. Anti-inflammatory: It reduces the feeling of pain, burn and swelling. Mostly Ayurveda follow intake of Basil seeds during arthritis which is an inflammatory stage and also to control the plague formation in blood vessels.
9. Coolant: It has natural property of giving soothing and cooling effect to your body. When you think your body is producing too much of heat.
Just look up to these seeds and they will help you and give some relief. It fights acidity: Because of its cooling property it fight against acidity and gives relief.
10. Dental Health: Basil seeds are known to protect us against mouth ulcers. It has antifungal, antiviral, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties which also fight against bad breath, cavities and plague
How to use Basil Seeds:
Basil seed needs to be soaked for 20mins. After the size of the seeds increases then it can be had with any preparation like juices, milkshakes, water, sherbats, sodas, plain milk, smoothie, falooda etc
Kids and elderly people please stay away from using it as the basil seeds may choke because of incorrect imbalance of water and seeds.
A pregnant woman should not include in diet because the Basil seeds reduces the level of estrogen.
Let me know if you are using Basil seeds in any of means mentioned above?
Latest posts by Neha Kava (see all)
- Health Benefits Of Peanuts - December 7, 2019
- Ease Your Asthma with These 5 Dieting Tips - June 13, 2019
- The Effective Way of Taking Testosterone Supplements - April 23, 2019